Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 11:29:19 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf vs. ipfw ?

I have used ipfw because when I started ipfilter was only in the ports.
I have tried several times to use ipfilter but have been unable to
figure out how.  The rules for ipfw are fairly simple and are processed
in order.  It is easy for me to understand, write and debug them, bit
plus.

I have not been able to wrap my mind around ipfilter's rules.  I have
spent about an hour total and just don't get it completely.  Some of the
documentation was sparse last time I checked.  From looking it seems it
might be more powerful, but recently ipfw added stateful rules.

These are just my observations and experiences.

Jim
--
jeh@FreeBSD.org      http://www.FreeBSD.org     The Power to Serve
jim@TheHousleys.Net  http://www.TheHousleys.net