Date:      21 Nov 1996 13:43:39 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Drinking (Was: We want Perl!)

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de> writes:

> Terry Lambert writes:
> > Many hangovers are the result of impurities other than the alcohol
> > also causing histamine reactions.  Red wine was recently reported
> > to cause hangovers worse than white wine, for instance, because of
> > the impurities.
>
> That's recent?  In this part of the world, where people perhaps drink
> more wine, it's well-known (well, I know it, anyway :-).

I think people outside the US generally drink more period. At least in
the social sense anyway i.e. more people drink alcohol as a matter of
course in their normal lives as opposed to serious alcohol problems
which the US has its fair share of.

So, if I was going to ask someone about how to drink a lot it'd be the
folks down the local rugby club but since getting into a rugby club
generally involves being able to consume vast quantities of alcohol
anyway it not something that's often discussed due to the fact that
people are too busy, well, drinking :-)

Since they don't play rugby in the US, or at least, they haven't been
doing so for long and they aren't very good at it, I doubt they're in
any way an authority on serious social drinking.

On the other hand, as far as I know the Germans don't play rugby at
all and they are experienced drinkers. Maybe they've spent their time
watching us rugby playing nations and realised that the essence of the
game is consuming vast quantities of lager afterward and being the
inovative nation that they are they have noted that the actual playing of
the game is an inefficiency and simply removed that part of the
process thus making them a world leader in the methodology of alcohol
consumption :-)

Hmm, this rambling may have something to do with the fact that the
dept went to the pub for lunch....

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155