Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:52:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jgrosch@mooseriver.com, brett@lariat.org, jasone@canonware.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, kline@tera.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD at Windows Refund Day

Windows Refund Day

Well, a number of FreeBSD people actually showed up to "show the flag"
on "Windows Refund Day".

Not knowing the target time and being a Foster City resident, rather
than going to Oakland and carpooling back to Foster City, I showed up
a little before 11am.

The signs all said "Microsoft Event", and pointed around back to
the parking garage, where Microsoft had deflected the event to the
top floor of the parking garage.

The Foster City Police Department was out in record numbers.  I
counted five officers, which means that they had the normal
contingent, plus two officers on overtime.  There were a number
of private security officers there, as well, apparently employees
of the property management company that owns the building where
the Microsoft sales office is enshrined.

Being fully an hour early, there were few advocates, a few officers,
a grundle of reporters (I'd estimate around 50 of them) and the
members of the band "Severe Tire Damage", attempting to gain entry
to the garage to set up their equipment.

Severe Tire Damage was denied on the basis of noise ordinances;
the parking garage was perhaps as mush as 10 minutes walk from the
Leo J. Ryan Park in Foster City, where there are weekly free
concerts Friday evening throughout the summer.

In addition to the reporters, there was a professionally done silk
screened banner proclaiming "Microsoft Welcomes The Linux Community",
under which various beverages were placed on a table (generally
referred to throughout the event as "The Kool Aide").  Also on the
table were letters from Microsoft, claiming that you had your
choice of any OS on your PC (apparently, laptops aren't PCs), and
that you should contact the manufacturer for a refund, not Microsoft.

Also president was a Microsoft Spokesman (toeing the company line).

Prior to the zero hour of 12 noon, Microsoft people "rebadged" the
"Microsoft Event" signs as "Linux Event" signs -- excellent spin
control, actually, given that what started out as "Windows Refund Day"
was first downgraded to "Microsoft Event", and then "Linux Event".

The only thing that felt missing from the spin control process was an
"InstallShield" dialog box, with progress indicator, and two reboots.
Who says Microsoft doesn't support hot swapping?

I was rather disappointed in the V.A. Research T-shirts.  As expected,
they were more specific to Linux than they were to the Windows Refund
Day event.

At around 12 noon, the parade made its entry, apparently from the
CostCo parking lot, down Vintage Park Drive, and left on Tower Lane.
Visible were many V.A. Research shirts, numerours penguins, several
FreeBSD shirts, and Eric Raymond, in a Yoda robe.

Pausing briefly for a photo opportunity, and then crossing the street
in groups so as to not block traffic, the group enetered the parking
structure, and, apparently for best visual effect, headed up the ramp
to the fourth floor.

As things wound up tighter, the people who had a legitimate refund
claim were herded into a corner for a rehersal of the plan of action:
the people would go in in groups, no more than 10 at a time, take the
elevator to the 9th floor office, and politely and firmly request a
refund.

This worked for the first several groups; or "worked", inasmuch that
no refund was forthcoming, and the supplicants were not permitted to
enter the Microsoft offices, proper.

Contrary to Microsoft's claims of making personnel available to
answer questions, after the first several groups, Microsoft locked
off the elevator access to their floor.

Attempts were made to go to a floor higher or lower, and walk the
stairs, but the stairs were only for fire escape, and so those
attempting that route had to exit at street level, refundless.

Much was made of the failure to obtain refunds; you will undoubtedly
see and hear those in at least the first and second groups in
interviews published over the next few days.  Apparently, it has
already been on CNN (Hi, Mom!).  Maybe they won't cut out the FreeBSD
T-shirts out of the picture, or report it as a Linux event, like
Microsoft tried to spin it.  But I won't hold my breath.  8-(.

Other than Eric Raymond declaiming to a reporter "Where do we go next?
We're taking over the servers and the corporate IS.", and the poor
BSD turnout relative to the Linux numbers (why didn't someone bring
the FreeBSD flag from the trade show materials at Walnut Cree CDROM?
Several CDROM people were there), all in all a good way to spend a
Monday.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---