Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 09:00:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Mark turpin <mturpin@shadow.spel.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good, cheap 100BaseT Ethernet cards?

Mark turpin writes:
 > On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
 >
 > > I'm looking for some good, cheap 100BaseT Ethernet cards which are
 > > supported by drivers included with FreeBSD. Unfortunately, the ones listed
 > > in the "Readme" are "name brands" -- and are going for $80-100 instead of
 > > the $20 that most people seem to be paying for Ethernet NICs for WinDoze.
 > > For example, the Netgear FA310TX is priced in the mid-$20's and comes from
 > > a reputable company, but I can't tell if it will work.
 > >
 > 	RealTek 8139 based card.   They are 10/100Mbps PCI, work with
 > FreeBSD (rl0 driver), and you can get them for $15-$20.  I have about
 > 20 of them.

I have a $20 RealTek 8139 card, and while it's rock solid and gives
reasonable transfer rates at 10 Mbps, it's only capable of doing about
50 Mbps sustained transfers in 100 Mbps mode and eats up 25% of a 200
MHz PPro's CPU.  And that was before Bill Paul made it copy buffers
nearly all the time because of alignment problems I reported with PPP
traffic.  If I find an Intel EtherExpress 100 for < $40, I'm going to
replace the RealTek in a shot.