Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:07:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comment on new categories?

I'm going to reply to all mails at once to cut down the number of
messages.

 * From: Brian Handy <handy@sag.lmsal.com>

 * I like the idea, the x11 directory is pretty bloated.  So things like
 * "xcolors", "xlockmore" and friends just stay in x11?

I guess so.  Unless you can come up with another category to scoop
them up. :)

 * From: Brian Handy <handy@sag.lmsal.com>

 * The only thing that bothers me about this is I sorta like seeing things of
 * one "group" together -- kde-* is one example.  (I'd also like to see all
 * the p5-[bleah] ports in one directory too, but ... you can't have it all.)
 * But I'm not sure how I'd solve that one.

Well, we can do that, but I'm not sure if that's a real good idea.
For kde-*, you can already install everything by using the "kde"
meta-port or -package, and you can find packages under the "kde"
virtual category anyway.

For p5-* stuff...well, no comment on that. ;)

 * From: Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>

 *  I like the ideea ! I always hated to search through all the x11 category
 * to find some window managers...
 *
 *  BTW, is it possible to make them subdirectories of x11 (I bet we can't,
 * but hey, why not mention it while we're still at it) ?

Going to an unbalanced tree will make maintaining ports much harder.
If we are going to 3 levels, we should do it all at once.  There are
35 categories now, ranging from humongous (japanese: 163, games: 159,
x11: 138) to tiny (german: 5, biology: 6).

===
## for i in */Makefile; do printf "%-20s: " $i; grep 'SUBDIR' $i | wc -l; done | sed -e 's./Makefile..' | sort -r -n +2
japanese   :      163
games      :      159
x11        :      138
net        :      133
devel      :      117
graphics   :       95
misc       :       79
lang       :       71
www        :       68
mail       :       61
print      :       51
sysutils   :       42
math       :       39
audio      :       39
editors    :       37
textproc   :       33
emulators  :       33
security   :       32
korean     :       31
news       :       28
chinese    :       26
databases  :       20
archivers  :       18
comms      :       17
converters :       13
cad        :       11
mbone      :       10
astro      :       10
benchmarks :        9
russian    :        8
vietnamese :        7
shells     :        7
plan9      :        7
biology    :        6
german     :        5
===

But nobody is complaining about "japanese" or "games".  The problem
with "x11" is that it's abused by ports that really don't belong here.

 * From: Thomas Gellekum <tg@ihf.rwth-aachen.de>

 * Do we need to be so terse? `x11-windowmanagers' would be fine with
 * me. `filemanagers' could be a broader category including some of the
 * filemanglers from misc (ytree, mc, ...).

The only reason why I'm terse is because "x11-windowmanagers" or
"filemanagers" will change the output of "ls /usr/ports" on a
80-character xterm from 3 columns to 5 columns.  Going up and down the
tree, that's fairly significant.

But may be right, maybe we shouldn't be too terse for the sake of
developers.  What do others think?

 * While we're at it, how about a new category `office' (I think this has
 * been proposed before)? This could remove some clutter from `misc',
 * like korganizer, kproject, plan, teapot, xcalendar, xmaddressbook,
 * xopps and probably others.

I thought those can go to "deskutils" too.  I didn't like the name
"office" because it conjures up images of an (in)famous product by a
competing company (:) that includes stuff like word processors,
spreadsheets and presentation tools, which we don't want to include in
this category.

Satoshi