Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 23:53:32 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP...

Jake Hamby wrote in message ID
<Pine.AUX.3.91.960520095732.25403A-100000@covina.lightside.com>:
> Out of personal preference (whether or not it ever goes in the tree), I'd
> also like to reduce the number of statically-linked binaries (i.e. move
> /bin to /usr/bin like Linux and Solaris) to those needed for boot and
> /stand for emergency use, and revamp the boot scripts to support
> SVR4-style /etc/init.d for safer package installs.  Again, thanks to
> everyone for the high quality of -current and the May 1 SNAP!

Some points:

1) After a quick examination of /bin, the majority of the binaries
   there I'd like to see stay. The couple that I don't quite
   understand being there (such as `rmail') probably need to stay
   there for backwards compatability.

   The current layout of /bin allows you to quickly recover if you
   screw something up, and to tell the truth I've had occasion to be
   grateful for the contents of /bin. Perhaps if someone undertakes
   to make the ``fixit floppy'' idea REALLY work and become 100% useful,
   I'd agree, but until then (and until I actually remember to keep a
   fixit floppy around 24/7), I'd vote no.

2) /etc/init.d is EXTREMELY controversial. I was actually thinking
   recently of introducing a proposoal on -hackers to revive the
   discussion to see if we could reach some decision (someone else
   started some other religuous discussion so I held off to save
   peoples mailboxes and forgot about it ... oops). Basically, I would
   like to see a /etc/rc.local.d, which meets your requirements of
   easy package addition, without forcing everyone to go the SYS V
   route for the entire setup. I actually kinda like the
   /etc/sysconfig idea, and the way it works in FreeBSD. IF and ONLY
   IF a decent administration interface is designed and writted for a
   /etc/rc.d (or whatever else you want to call it) would I be willing
   to see a move to a rc.d structure.

(actually, I can pretty much see a long discussion going on about your
last paragraph in particular)

Gary