Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:38:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who disabled my urchin stats?

> I disabled the urchin stats Saturday morning because
> this tool deleted most part of the web log files :-((((

You should have talked to me - we could have looked into your claims
more thoroughly.  I've already been running urchin here in test
mode and it's been working fine; www.freebsd.org is NOT the first
urchin test site, contrary to your belief.

> Jordan started the urchin stats as root (!!!) from /etc/crontab
> every day at 0:00. The urchin scripts also runs a
> own log file rotation script ;-{

They're supposed to run as root.

> At 4:00 the webmaster do the standard log file rotation. The
> result of the log rotation script clash are mostly empty
> log files. All entries between 04:00 and 24:00 are deleted.
> No thank you!

I can disable the rotation - you never even mentioned it as a problem
before now so I didn't do so.

> Log file rotation and log file analyzing are two different things.
> The log file rotation script *must* run once a day as root.  Analyzing
> tools are optional software. They should never be started as root!!

This needs to run as root.

> As I already you told, www.freebsd.org is our production server.
> Don't run test software on www.freebsd.org! Don't do it as root!!

This needs to run as root.

> If you want perform test copy the log files to bento.freebsd.org
> and run the scripts at bento.

I've already run tests here.  Since you refuse to even communicate
with me, how was I supposed to know that it was causing problems
on www.freebsd.org?

> This is the second case where a Core Team member used his root
> privileges to break into the web server - without talking to me
> directly. And I have to fix the bugs ...

If you had bothered to COMMUNICATE about this yourself, we wouldn't
have gotten to this state at all.  It has always been occasionally
necessary for others to do web-oriented things on our machines and the
webmaster doesn't have an exclusive monopoly on this, just as others
occasionally jump in on postmaster issues or system admin tasks.  You
being the primary contact does not absolve you from working with
others in the project and I expect you to communicate with others
here.  I never made any secret of the urchin stats or what I was doing
with them, but you made a secret of the problems it was causing and
now we're yelling at eachother.  Either be more willing to communicate
with others over issues like this in the future or realize that maybe
you're not the right choice for webmaster.  Nobody gets to run their
piece like a fiefdom and you are expected to communicate with others
when problems arise, not just run around disabling stuff for reasons
known only to you.

- Jordan