Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:51:24 -0600
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN vs. DNews

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> -On [20000121 00:14], Mitch Collinsworth (mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU) wrote:
> >
> >>All of this on a P200pro, 96mb RAM, and 50gb of ide disk. And we have
> >>server to spare. We run our tucows mirror on the same box. (Of course,
> >>I firmly beleive that 3x-stable is making all of this possible ;)
> >
> >Well since I'm preparing to build a new server soon I will consider
> >DNEWS, too.  :-)  One thing you mentioned reminds me of a question I've
> >been pondering.  Disks.  You said you're using 50 GB IDE.  I have no IDE
> >experience (yet) but recent discussions had left me wondering if IDE was
> >really up to the challenge of news.  I've been torn between buying new
> >IDE drives and throwing some existing towers filled with 2 GB SCSI drives
> >at it.  (Yes, I have a lot of old 2 GB drives, 7 to a box.) Given the I/O
> >profile of news I'm not yet convinced the IDE drives would be faster.

For the record, we are using 3 western digital 7200rpm 27gb drives. 50gb
is used for DNEWS spool, the rest for tucows mirrors (Less the OS of
course)

> I work for an ISP.  Our Current disk set-up is based on Seagate SCSI
> Barracuda's of about 18 GB per disk, running over Fibrechannel.  This is
> for a full feed (20 or so peers) of about 90-100 GB a day.
> This large feed size is mostly due to alt.binaries, because some tests
> were done which came to 12-20 GB of normal usenet traffic (no
> alt.binaries and spam).  Quite a difference.

We are also ISP's. According to C&W, and UU Net, a full feed is about
12gb a day. From what I have heard, (and experience) that's pretty much
the norm in the US. I had always heard that the European feeds where
much bigger. How much history do you keep? With 50gb, we manage to keep
about 5days worth of binaries, and about 30 days worth of everything
else.

> The IDE drives, IMHO, won't be able to cope with this feed.

We didn't think the IDE's would work either.. until we tried them. Check
out the I/O numbers on the new 7200rmp IDE's vs older SCSI drives. The
fact of the matter is that SCSI drive's will alway out perform IDE's.
It's all in what you do with them. We have 3 T1's going to/from the news
server. Even really old IDE's will stand up pretty well to 4.5mbs
throughput.

There is one other feature of DNEWS that I didn't mention. It has really
good anti-spam features, like the ability to block via a filter file,
and the ability to set limits to crossposts. You can even set it to
delete the crossposts when the original message expires. We use a really
agressive filter, and block about 20% of the binararies coming in.

--
Bob Martin, bob@buckhorn.net
http://www.buckhorn.net

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
		-- Albert Einstein