Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 02:51:46 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Andrew Berry <andrewberry@sentex.net>
Cc:        z.szalbot@lc-words.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: generating random passwords

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:53:56PM -0400, Andrew Berry wrote:

> Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Excuse me my ignorance. Is there a utility in FreeBSD that would allow
> >me to generate random passwords without actually creating any accounts
> >or modifying existing ones? I am looking for something to allow me to
> >generate a random string of characters. I know I can randomly hit the
> >keyboard but if anything like that exists, many thanks for your
> >advice. :)
> >
> >Best regards,
>
> I've used pwgen from ports. It sounds similar to the other suggestions.

I like sysutils/pwgen too.

In it's default state it will give a screenful of semi-pronounceable
passwords from which you pick one.

It can also be used in a shell script to generate single passwords.

Having the password semi-pronounceable avoids the sticky-note problem
to a large extent as they're easy to learn.

Can also generate gibberish, if that's your choice. Widely tunable.

For password containment i.e all my online passwords, I use a shell
script with gpg and a strong password.

So in theory, I only have to remember my user login and the password
for gpg. In practice, I remember a few more that I use regularly.

Regards,

--

 Frank