Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 21:57:27 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free pizza & beer for GCC Guru in or near Berlin

Hi Joerg,
CC chat@freebsd.org (PS plse leave jhs@ on cc line, I don't think I'm on chat@
	(I'll resubscribe))

Reference:
> From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
>
> p.s.: Julian, your address displayed as:
>
> 	jhs@vector.jhs.no_domain (Julian Stacey jhs@freebsd.org)
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes because,
- Every time I connect to the Internet, it is via an ISP that dynamicaly
  assigns me a different host IP number each connection occurence.
- I can't ask the ISP to provide any more than what it already does,
  (for non technical reasons, don't ask ;-)
- Various bits of my system seem to need a domain entry,
  (I have a few boxes here, not just one).
- {Friends,aliases & programs} sometimes send mail from here, so I can't
  simply set the sendmail.cf host masquerade
	DMfreebsd.org
  to cope with my jhs originated mail, else for instance
  friends would appear to be friend_of_jhs@freebsd.org,
  which when it bounced would waste the time of postmaster@freebsd.org.

So:
- I assert my mail fields:
	From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>
- I have set my domain to an obviously false one to encourage people
  to ignore it & look further,if it bounces.
- I realise it looks weird when seen in received-from lines etc.
- I used to use jhs.org, that wasnt' spotted by humans, but caused bounces
  when poor mail reader programs selected the wrong field.
  Then I used jhs.local, but `local' caused some problem at the site where
  Don Libes (ports/lang/expect author) is.

I know paying more, getting a fixed IP name/number are an option, but I'd
prefer to stay using my low budget dynamic connection for now :-)

I know dynamic IP allocation is not unique to me ... what do others do ?
Any solutions out there ?

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/