Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:37:53 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

Mark Murray writes:
> You guys are all missing the point of Thomas' mail here!
>
> He knows how to do it, and eventually found out on his own; his point
> is that it was a _helluva_ lot less obvious than it should have been.
> The question at the end, is (paraphrased) "Where is the documentation
> for us newbies whe dont know that the CDROM is /dev/wcd0c??".

This is one of those areas somebody looking for something to do could
contribute. I'm not thinking of documentation. I'm thinking of a "safe"
filesystem driver, possibly in user space.

The problem I'm thinking of is one could concievedly burn a creatively
mangled CDROM that when mounted broke into the OS. Or at the very least
causes the system to crash. But if we had a filesystem driver that could
be used for removable media such as CDROM, Zip, Jaz, etc, written to
favor error checking over speed, only then would it be safe to automount
removable media by default.

SGI seems to be giving away components of Irix these days. They have a
pretty fully featured "mediad" for automounting media (don't know if its
on the give-away list). Believe this daemon launched the appropriate
filesystem daemon as a driver when mounting the media. I do remember
when one had thousands (or 10's of thousands, I forget this detail) of
files in a single ISO-9660 directory, Irix could be awfully slow. I
remember tuning a parameter to add a couple of megabytes of buffer to
their metadata cache and restored reasonable access speeds.