Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:22:34 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD direction/Damonnews article

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Pedro F. Giffuni <pfg1+@pitt.edu> types:
> > Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > People wearing developers hats don't get to make decisions about the
> > > financial future of the company, so your recommendation is
> > > ineffective. Go to the root of the problem, and convince the people
> > > making those decisions that if they don't have developers, they don't
> > > have control of the development of the product - which pretty much
> > > spells death for the product.
> > Yes my solution is ineffective, although developers have more
> > influence on the decision than you think. Your solution is impossible
> > to implement (MBAs never see the real problems nor do they want to see
> > them)
>
> Could you please make up your mind? If the developers have more
> influence on MBAs than I think, then my solution isn't impossible to
> implement.

My mind is pretty clear thanks :), I took the courses on "how to be an
MBA". The problem with your solution is that MBAs focus only on
markets and trends, and with this buzz of Opensource it's easy to get
blinded. If you ask in a poll you wiil find a high percentage of
people that has heard about Linux and few people that actually know
what it is (much less use it).

MBAs will not try to reinvent the wheel (although they will likely
take the credit)...the person taking the decision will cover hi a** by
asking the developer what he thinks of this "new wonderful strategy we
have". In my solution, the developers will be say...I hope the
earnings will be at least as good as in windows, cause we'll
practically have to hire twice the people just to get it running".

> > and, on the other hand, the people taking the decisions are
> > actually the ones that deserve to be punished
>
> Since the MBAs who chose to fire the developers are watching their
> company go down the drain, the people making the bad decision - to
> fire the developers - are being punished.

yes. They usually have preferential stock though :(.

	Pedro.