Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 19:39:05 -0500
From:      "Bradley Dunn" <dunn@harborcom.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   I broke libgcc.a :(

Hi

I was messing around the other night and somehow got my gcc and
libgcc.a out of sync. This is on a 2.1-stable machine. Anytime I try
to do anything with gcc I get:
"ld.so: bad magic number in /usr/lib/libgcc.a"
or something very similar. This message also appears when other
applications that use shared libraries attempt to execute. Some
examples are su and telnetd. I have tried replacing libgcc.a with a
copy from another FreeBSD machine that I have, but no luck. I also
replaced gcc with the gcc from the other machine, still no go. I
think I broke it when doing a make build-tools. Can anyone offer a
suggestion? BTW, a make clean, make world dies the first time cc is
run. Thanks!

Bradley Dunn <dunn@harborcom.net>   HarborCom
This space for rent