Date:      Tue, 04 Jan 2000 23:16:05 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting 3.x from CD?

> >> Don't have a spare floppy to put on it.  I can (and did) boot 2.2.8 on it
> >> tho.
> >
> > Er.  It'd be _really_ nice if you could make just a little effort to help
> > us out here.
>
> You're saying I should maybe take the e-commerce server down or some other
> mission critical machine to take a drive out of it?  If you don't want to
> help, don't answer.  It's not like it'd be really that different from other
> problems I've had.

Uh.  A floppy drive costs about $15, including tax.  What's your time
worth?  What's a speedy resolution to this problem worth?  Helping me
helps you.  Refusing to help me hurts you, me, and everyone else that
ends up in your position.

> >> Here's the register dump:
> >>
> >> int=0000000e  err=00000000  efl=00010046  eip=00009548
> >> eax=c05b302d  ebx=c05bafa4  ecx=00008c08  edx=00000002
> >> esi=c05bb000  edi=00001933  ebp=00000000  esp=0c5baf94
> >> cs=0008  ds=0010  es=0010  fs=0010  gs=0010  ss=0010
> >> cs:eip=ac c8 31 00 00 00 fe c9-74 0c b0 2d 80 f9 08 74
> >> ss:esp=10 00 00 00 d8 96 00 00-18 92 00 00 00 18 00 00
> >> System halted
> >
> > Interesting.  Can you tell me _exactly_ what it's output leading up to
> > the dump?  Can you hit the spacebar when the twiddly thing pauses briefly
> > and get the boot: prompt?  If you can, tell me what it prints, and then
> > hit Enter.
>
> \boot.config:-P
> Keyboard: yes
>
> >> Default: 0:fd(0,a)/boot/loader
>
> boot:
> -
> BTX Loader 1.00  BTX Version is 1.01
> Console: internal video/keyboard
> BIOS drive A: is disk0
> BIOS drive B: is disk1
> BIOS drive C: is disk2
> BIOS drive C: is disk3   <-- This does seem odd, but that's what it says.
>
> FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7 640/31744kB
> (jkh@cathair, Tue May 18 03:22:02 GMT 1999)
>
> Hit [Enter] to boot...   <-- at this time I also hit space to catch up writing
>
> Type '?' for a list...
> disk0s4a:> boot
> /kernel text=0x1a064a  data=0x2ec430+0x1f318 /
>
> Then comes the register dump I typed in in the last message.

Ack.  At this point in time, we're stumped.  It looks like you're
trying to install 3.1 here, but the code sequence that you're running
doesn't actually exist in the 3.1-RELEASE loader.  If you boot this
particular CDROM, does it always die at _exactly_ the same place?

The avenues for code corruption are:

 - bad CDROM (will always be the same error)
 - bad memory (may vary locations, etc.)
 - bad CD drive/cabling/controller (may vary locations)

It's hard for it to be a code/BIOS bug, as in the 3.1-vintage loader
IIRC the BTX page (where the crash is) is write-protected.

> > Please, always be as verbose as possible with your problem reports.
> > Nobody enjoys squeezing blood from a stone, and it drastically reduces
> > your chances of getting a useful answer.
>
> There's not much there to give.  It's not like it's failing after it
> probes a device.  If it was I wouldn't have to put up with comments like
> these, I could figure it out myself.  Believe me, asking questions on
> these lists is the least desirable thing I ever have to do with FreeBSD.

The information you've provided this time around could easily have been
provided in the first message, and it would have made the whole
experience so much less painful and frustrating for all of us.  Is it
that hard to help us to help you?