Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:25:05 +0100
From:      jmdupoux@lineone.net
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>, <andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Kernel config parameters for soundcard - 4.4 release

ok, when  I looked  at  man  and the handbook the impression was that sbc  was
typically suited for some specific compatible chipsets, while sb or csa for example
targeted  others.

But anyhow, now I've  tried  a build  with  sbc there still seems to be one or two
problems

it still looks like  no mixer is being  created, only  one  device  created
pcm0: <SB dsp 3.01>  at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1  (1p, 1w, 1v channels)

and the response from trying to play  a file is not a sound output:

sb_dspwr(0x40) timed out.
sb_dspwr(0x40) timed out.
sb_dspwr(0x40) timed out.
sb_dspwr(0x40) timed out.

before returing to the prompt, in complete silence

entering mixer by itself at the prompt gives me a list of  current settings, all at zero,
but any attempt to run for example  mixer vol  10  returns
mixer: MIXER_WRITE: Device not configured

still stumped
jmdupoux_@_lineone.net