Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:50:48 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows Refund Day: Watch out for Linux tactics

> At 12:22 PM 2/14/99 -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>
> >I will not be a bad idea if FreeBSD folks decide to show which I doubt
> >for they love to hang out on the FreeBSD mailing lists to indeed
> >wear a FreeBSD T-Shirt --- if you have one of course 8)
>
> I think that's a great idea. Are FreeBSD buttons available? (If not,
> it should be easy to take some readily available artwork and make some.)

Not yet.  I'm thinking I really ought to go, even though Vacaville is
a damn long way to come from.  I'll go through the WC offices and grab
some promo stuff (stickers are my favorite tool), but I don't think I
could manage tshirts or hats at this point.  I'll see what I can do - I
would hope that not too many prospective FreeBSD hat-orderes would mind
that their hats had been preworn for an hour or two in a major protest.

> But it's still important to talk directly to the press. Many of the
> press people there (especially those who are NOT from computer trade
> pubs) won't know that a picture of Chuck The Besneakered Daemon represents
> something other than Linux. (They may even mistakenly believe that
> it represents Microsoft and/or Bill Gates.) They'd better make the
> point that FreeBSD is the "other, better free UNIX." Or, again, they'll
> be seen as supporting Linux and will have been played for fools.

Brett - will _you_ be there?  For all your irritation, you know how to
handle these people, as well as spot them.  Remember that most of us are
tech types; give us a break.

I'll be at the Oakland staging area I expect.  (Cursing that we don't
have the Daemon Babe outfits yet...)