Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:46:20 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi woes, try again

On Mon, Jun 15, 1998 at 08:46:08PM -0400, Dru wrote:
> I changed my email format, so I'll try again.
>
> Hi everyone! I've been sitting here quietly for about 2 months and I
>  guess it's time to join the foray.

What? So soon? :-)

> As a newbie to both FreeBSD and Unix in general, I haven't reached the
> first level yet as I'm still working out ppp and Xwindows. However,
> I've become quite proficient at vi.

Hmph. Show-off. It's supposed to be hard, didn't anyone tell you that?
Next thing I'll be the only newbie who can't use vi and it'll be all
your fault :-(

> Have to admit that it took about 2 configuration files and a sore ear
> before I could remember to keep pressing escape; once ya get the
> hang of it though, you can fly.  Now I have to remember not to press
> escape when I'm not typing in vi.

Have you tried resting your foot on the desk and using your big toe
for the Esc key?

> Have found the vi tutorial in Unix Unleashed (chapter 7) invaluable as
> it has many exercises and key strokes to speed you up that aren't
> even listed in the manpages.  You can read this book for free at:
> http://mcp.com/personal/  .  While you're there, peruse their ebooklist.

Hmm, interesting. They seem to have a whole book on CGI for browsing,
and other published books accessible for a limited period if you register.

>  I've never been to a computer store that offered such quality and
> quantity, and the price is definitely right.  There's enough reading
> there to keep me busy the next couple decades.
>
> Hope I sent this message in the right email format; Sue will let me
> know if I didn't.

10/10
Congratulations! You have entered the First Circle of Email :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-