Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 17:27:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP...

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > switched me back to FreeBSD for good.  My plan now is to try to bring in
> > Solaris/ELF support (possibly from NetBSD) so that I can run all the
> > Solaris "goodies" like ksh, Openwindows tools, Motif, and CDE (that, along
> > with the fact that I do Solaris/SPARC development at work/school, was the
> > main reason I bought Solaris/x86 [at educational discount] in the first
> > place).
>
> YES!  I would love this.  If nothing else, it would open up large portions
> of the Sun Catalyst catalog to us!
>
> 					Jordan

Don't bet on it, Jordan!  Sun promotes Solaris/SPARC much more heavily (as
rightly they should) than Solaris/x86 so there are about 10x as many
Catalyst apps for Solaris/SPARC as for x86.  Still, Christos from NetBSD
says that their code runs OpenWindows apps whoohoo!  Except for programs
which require ttsession which need LWP (i.e. threads).  Also, he claimed
the code would be fairly portable to FreeBSD, and that our ELF loader
should be usable, so I'll give it a try and let you all know how it goes!

---Jake