Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:09:26 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 08:37:53PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> causes the system to crash. But if we had a filesystem driver that could
> be used for removable media such as CDROM, Zip, Jaz, etc, written to
> favor error checking over speed, only then would it be safe to automount
> removable media by default.

This is one of the reasons that I only ever use MS-DOS-formatted
floppies: there's no need to mount them, and all the mucking
around that that entails.  I just use mtools to talk to them.

Perhaps mtools, or a similar toolset that knew how to read and
write off-line FFS filesystems, could be hooked to run as mountable
file system, amd/nfs-style.

--
Andrew