Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 04:24:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        europax@home.com (Rob)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: How do you get kids interested in computers- other than playing games?

> My nephew spends just about every waking moment (other than school) in
> front of the
> computer playing games.  So this Christmas I thought I'd expand his
> horizons by buying
> him a new Imac with SuSE Linux preinstalled by me.

An editor for Quake WADS might convince him.

I personally like the Pinball Construction Set; it wasn't long
until anyone I let play with it started feeling limited by the
constraints, and wanted to head off into the weeds with their
own game design.

Alternately, my all time favorites were the text adventures;
they are available in two "Lost Treasures" packages.  There
is an interpreter for them in ports, which would let you play
them under FreeBSD.

Then there's the decompiler and compiler for ZIL (Zork
Implementation Language), also in ports.

If he could find a friend who had the necessary toys of their
own, they could spend some time rewriting the games for each
other ("Floyd Here Now!"), as a challenge to each other.

I know, I know, he's probably into shoot-'em-ups.  Bletch.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.