Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 01:18:36 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

On Nov 18,  7:11pm, Michael Smith wrote:
} (This has nothing to do with security.  Moved to -chat where such drool
}  belongs)

Actually, it is security related (see my response to (b)):

} Don Lewis stands accused of saying:
} >
} > I'd like to be able to do "make release" to get a binary release with
} > this already taken care of to make installation easier.  I'd also like
} > the release to have unnecessary stuff like compilers and include files
} > removed.
}
} a) You can fiddle 'make release' to do anything you want, after all, you
}    have the source, right?

Yes, but it's a lot harder than I'd like.

} b) Removing the compiler and "unnecessary" stuff may be less useful than
}    you think.  But if you're determined to force people to use the GENERIC
}    kernel, then go ahead and do it.  I'm sure _someone_ will love you,
}    although these would be the people who were happy when Sun and SCO did
}    the same thing.  *snort*

I'm doing this to make building firewall boxes easier.  The kernel won't
be GENERIC, it'll be a pre-configured ultra-paranoid kernel.  There won't
be any general user accounts.  Administrative access will only be allowed
from the console or via ssh from a trusted location.  Most of userland will
only be removed (especially setuid and setgid executables!), leaving only
enough to boot the machine and launch the appropriate daemons that were
precompiled and included in the release.

In case the machine is compromised or the disk blows up, it is reloaded
from a trusted source (not from a backup tape that some cracker managed
to leave a back door in).  I want this to be an easy task and not require
five hours answering questions, editing files, and deleting stuff.

Since I'll be the only person logging in, and I won't be compiling any
code on that machine, I don't need a compiler, and I don't want to make
it any easier than necessary for some cracker d00d to compile his r00t
kit.

And on more of a chat related note, there is a discussion going on over
on the hardware list about using FreeBSD for routers.  What if was easier
to build really tiny releases for such purposes?  If they were small
enough, you could get it to all fit on a floppy (sort of like the
current install floppy) and you could build a router or other simple
dedicated device without a hard disk at all.  You'd still need a full
FreeBSD box around to do development on, but this would allow you to
deploy a number of really cheap FreeBSD boxes on your network as dedicated
devices.

Please follow up only to the appropriate places.

			---  Truck