Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 1995 01:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> [[ Cc's trimmed to Rod and hackers ]]
>
> : I have about 12 pending changes to the /etc/sysconfig and related
> : scripts, some intergrated and tested on my box, others needing some
> : clean up, others needing some testing to make sure what is being
> : done actually works well.
>
> One idea that I had was something like this:
>
> If you ship a "template" /etc/sysconfig, called /etc/sysconfig.tmpl
> that looks like:

[Lots of nice neat ideas using shell scripts, and other solutions...]

> One additional problem is /etc/rc.local.  I don't recall what is
> shipped by default, but I seem to recall that there was some code in
> that file that should be preserved in an upgrade.  By its very nature,
> it is hard to quantify its contents in an /etc/sysconfig way.

About the only thing in the default /etc/rc.local now is the setting
of the header line in /etc/motd and the chmod of /etc/motd.  That
is going to die and ugly death and be replaced by something more
elegant as that is one of my small thorns with RO root file systems.
(Modifying a file in /etc on every single boot is slightly sick in
my book :-).

> Comments?

I like your idea, and I will look at details of implementing it, probably
skip right over the shell mumbo jumbo and go for an m4 setup.  This is
just what I think the doctor ordered!!!!