Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:28:44 -0700
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:43:35 -0400
Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> wrote:

> Chris Pressey wrote:
> > > A single Greek word for which there isn't an equivalent word in
> > > English-- and I mean exact equivalent, including all the possible
> > > meanings and nuances that this word can express in the Greek
> > > language-- should be enough as an example, right?
> >
> > Unfortunately, no, it's not enough.
> >
> > A single Greek word for which there isn't an equivalent English
> > word, phrase, sentence, paragraph, essay, book, or library would be
> > enough though.
>
> Which has very little relevance to programming languages.

I disagree; I think the parallel to optimization in different languages
is quite strong.  There may be a Greek word whose meaning can only be
expressed in English as a lengthy paragraph.  Likewise, what takes a
couple of "sentences" of Perl code may take an entire "essay" of C.

> [on functional languages]
> So now I'm wondering: why aren't these languages more popular?

Well, how often are they taught in schools?

-Chris