Date:      30 Oct 2001 14:55:51 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Course of law (was: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims  of terror)))

"Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net> writes:

> Moreover, when the US hit Japan with nuclear weapons, the US
> indiscriminately killed many civilians without specifically targeting
> industry.

A justification I've read of the incendiary (including Napalm(TM))
bombing of Japan's mostly-wooden cities was that their industry
(piecework and considerably larger) was widely distributed outside
conventional factories.  I suppose that both the conventianal and
distributed industry and residences were more closely intermixed than in
the cites of Europe and America because of less advanced transportation.
The point is that I'm not sure that the US in WWII ever considered that
their targeting, nuclear or conventional, was anything but industry-
targeted, at least in their rationalizations.  (The rationalizations had
to be stretched much further in Europe.)

(I don't know how much they bothered with these rationalizations, or
if they relied more on the many other, more generic ones available.)

Of course, it's hard to believe that they didn't consider to some degree
the beneficial aspects of the terror that city-burning (whether over
several days or in one flash) surely invokes.  But it's also clear they
didn't plan to depend on terror to achieve their goals.  The story goes
that Truman did not order that two bombs would be dropped so that they
could expect a surrendor or be able to tell Japan to "surrendor or else".
Truman just said "A-bombs away" (as fast as they could be produced --
which would be very slow at first).