Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 22:25:55 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

Brett writes:

> It's no more buggy than anything else out
> there.

Not so.  Netscape 4.x is legendary for its incredibly buggy code.  It fails
most of the W3C tests (try them and see).  It is so badly written, in fact,
that anyone wanting to support it must often write one version of each page
for Netscape 4.x, and one version for every other browser.  Just look at the
Javascript on millions of pages that loads different versions based on the
browser, if you want proof.

If you are using a standards-conformant browser, you don't need to load a
special version of anything for it.

> And it's a classic, which millions of
> people run.

Not anymore.  Less than 2% of all people visiting my Web site are still
running any version of Netscape.  No stats that I've seen for any Web site
in recent memory has shown a percentage higher than eight.  It's dead.
That's why I no longer support it on my own Web site.

> There's no excuse for creating pages that it won't
> render properly.

Sure there is.  You create pages that validate under standard HTML and CSS
tests.  It is then up to the browser to render them per the standards.  If
this doesn't happen, it's the browser's fault, not the Web pages' fault.
This is something that way too many people still don't understand.

I can write a page that validates completely for HTML and CSS, and it will
render perfectly in Opera or MSIE, but it will produce garbage--a total
mess--in Netscape 4.x.  Sorry, but I'm not going to rewrite my pages and
violate standards just to get Netscape to render the page correctly.

> Netscape 6.0 is bloated spyware and crashes
> on many machines.... Far inferior to Netscape
> 4.x, IMHO.

Netscape 4.x crashes almost hourly on my machine each time I've tried to use
it.  Netscape 6.x does not.  And more importantly, Netscape 6.x renders
standard pages almost as well as Opera and MSIE; Netscape 4.x often cannot
render them at all, for all practical purposes.

> Can't trust it. Have you seen the latest round
> of nasty exploits for it?

I don't worry too much about exploits.  There aren't any software products
that don't have them, anyway.