Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:30:31 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <iwrtech@iwr.ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xRAID disks....

On 10 Jun 2008 , Erik Trulsson entreated about
 "Re: xRAID disks....":

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:56:07PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > >
> > > The pair of ex-RAID disks are ad1 and ad2 and obviously are no longer
> > > a raid pair, yet 'something' is telling the ar() driver to try and
> > > pair them and failing because there is no raid hardware in that box.
> >
> > there are no "raid hardware" on most devices. it's just marketing hype.
>
> Most (cheap) RAID controllers do almost everything in software. Some do have
> hardware support.

this was not a cheap card, it is an Adaptec 2400A.  4 disks.  It can
do RAID5 too but I never tried that, having needed 2 mirror pairs
instead.

the new motherboard is an Intel D965 with 6 SATA sockets, 4 of which
are now supporting the new RAID5 array (4x400Gb disks).  whether is
is the RAID hardware or just because it is SATA2, it is damn fast
compared to IDE.  pleased so far.  oh, not booting off this, it is
just data (and the old IDE mirror disks must now work in the non RAID
backup server)

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research