Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 18:10:54 -0300
From:      daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Device Driver

More bugging^^Wquestions:

* The excelent device driver squeleton creator shell happens to create a
file (called "nameio.h") a install it on /usr/include/sys, for the express
purpose of IOCTL defines. Now, many drivers use /usr/include/machine
instead. Which should I prefer?

* My device driver should be used mainly by other kernel routines. How
should I proceed? Is there a standard interface or something?

* The $#*@*$ card needs timeouts from one to ten (!!!) seconds, and has no
IRQ, for reads and writes! Now, blocking a process is easy (I suppose -- I
haven't checked out how do it yet), but how should I proceed regarding the
procedures called by other parts of the kernel?

* Regarding major/minor number (I don't quite grok that yet), may I suppose
the script did the right thing (current system)?

Insightful thoughts would be appreciated.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                      (8-DCS)
Daniel_Sobral@voga.com.br