Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:43:59 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Illogical usage of swap

On Mar 16 at 15:34, Giorgos Keramidas suggested:

>>> Strange.  AFAIK, processes are not swapped out to disk unless there is a
>>> severe memory shortage.  The usual case is to have them "paged" out,
>>> which is a bit different.
>>
>> That was my understanding also, and that's what's baffling us
>
> Unless, of course, there _was_ a short period of memory shortage, some
> processes were swapped out (a pair of idle getty instances, for example)
> and they were never swapped back in because they are still idle.
>
> You can probably track this down to the specific process or processes
> that have the PS_INMEM bit turned off in their proc->p_sflag.  But 116K
> seems too small to be a complete process.

This is going way above my head now, but great as a learning process
anyway!

May I ask how we would go about tracking processes with the
PS-INMEM bit turned off? That sounds as if - to me, still a journeyman
on the road to knowledge - grepping multiple source trees might be
necessary, which frankly is a daunting process (to say the very least).
Is there one meta-search string that would show this? and if so, where
should this search be applied?

Regards,
-Colin
--