Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 08:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        M C Wong <mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any guidelines for upgrading from 2.1R to 2.1.5R ?

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, M C Wong wrote:

>     I appreciate if anyone can tell me if there is any doco
> detailing the steps for upgrading from 2.1R to 2.1.5R.

Just did this last night.

1.  Save your current /etc to somewhere safe.

2.  Boot the floppy, configure devices as usual.

3.  At the menu, select "upgrade".

4.  Configure the disk and disklabel info so the filesystems are NOT newfs'd
(hit M and the mountpoint on each partition, It defaults to no newfs but
just make sure).

5.  Select the distributions you want (should be the same as what you picked
before, especially when concerning DES).  note there is a compat21
option, you will surely want to install that :-)

6.  Select & configure the media (most likely ftp).

7.  Hit it, sit back and relax for a bit.

8.  Come back, note & confirm all files that sysconfig can't upgrade.
You'll be dropped to a shell prompt; make changes by copying or editing
files as necessary.

9.  type 'reboot' and check the boot config.

10.  Rebuild & reinstall the kernel.

11.  Reboot one final time and you're off.

That's a generic guide to upgrading any FreeBSD -RELEASE version.