Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:11:05 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: changes to base system DNS

 > "rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*" on the old and new systems
 > and compare the locations of named vs. local_unbound?

     On the current system, named comes up as number 74.
     Would someone who uses only unbound report how it works for them?
     Better yet - someone who's using port.bind?

 > So it depends on what capability you are looking for as to whether it
starts earlier or later. (No easy answers here.)

     Short version: this system is authoritative for its zone, so a
caching-only resolver is no good.
     Using system bind worked fine; everybody found everything they
needed at the right time.
     I don't grok the rcorder system: it is my impression that
everything in /etc/rc.d is provessed independently and before
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.  If that's true, then it seems like named might
start after things that need its services.

     Respectfully,

                     Robert Huff