Date:      Sun, 28 May 1995 18:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/Makefile SUBDIR=bla..bla to SUBDIR?=bla..bla

>  * it will allow us (those of us without a gig disc to spare for ports)
>  * to compile much of ports without all ( I for instance have set a SUBDIR in my
>  * .cshrc that skips japanese & russian & games & audio )
>
> Setting SUBDIR in your environment is not the correct way to do this,
> among other things it will screw up some ports that include some other
> bsd.*.mk (eispack? or something) 'cause they use the SUBDIR too.
>
> For skipping individual ports or subtrees, you can use DUDS, as in
>
> make package DUDS="japanese russian games audio"

And as I have already posted if you want to keep a specific list of
ports you wish to have built by a make in /usr/ports, simply
cd /usr/ports
cp Makefile makefile
vi makefile (change SUBDIR to be something like this:)
SUBDIR=	devel/gmake							\
	mail/elm mail/metamail						\
	net/gopher net/sup net/tcpblast					\
	print/a2ps print/ghostscript					\
	utils/iozone utils/ispell utils/lmbench utils/mtools utils/top	\
	x11/xearth

[My personal list of ports that I always like to have :-)]

This is a 2.2 feature...
We already have lots of knobs, I am working on .mk stuff that will help
some more with this (any directory that is in SUBDIR, but does not
exists can be skipped without all the crap we have in /usr/src/Makefile).