Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:19:43 -0400
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, tom@uniserve.com
Cc:        paulo@nlink.com.br, jer@jorsm.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger and getpwent

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 08:07:59AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:

> %   Except that nologin just stops shell logins, not all password
> % authentication.  So POP, IMAP, some FTP, RADIUS, all suceed.  Munging the
> % password field is better.  Attempts to access disabled accounts is logged
> % as well, as will all incorrect passwords.
>
> These daemons should all be FIXED to not allow logins if the shell isn't
> in /etc/shells.  ftpd and wu-ftpd already do this; if the others don't,
> we should ask the port maintainers to "fix" them for us.  ;^)

I would find it surprising if an invalid shell prevented users from
using POP or IMAP.  Disallowing shell logins and ftp while allowing
mail retrieval seems like a very common configuration; how would you
propose to setup a POP server if the POP daemon checked /etc/shells?

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.