Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:27:11 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: http://www.performance-computing.com/features/9810of1.shtml

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa

To: MLam@mfi.com (May Lam)
Cc: mckusick@cs.berkeley.edu
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:27:11 -0700
From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

Hmmmm.  It's sort of too bad that you didn't take my edits back for
the article which was eventually published, but the artwork you used
to accompany it is an outright disaster.  I'm all for competetive
comparisions with Linux or I wouldn't have written the article in the
first place, but showing a daemon outright skewering a penguin with
his pitchfork only incites the basest of emotions in many readers and
casts doubt over the entire article.  If the author is willing to
stoop to cheap tactics like going after the opposition's mascot, the
logic goes, then the content must not be any better.

Furthermore, you never gave me any inkling that such artwork might be
used and I would never have approved or submitted the article for
publication had I known you had something like this in mind.  Not only
is it incompatible with my goals for FreeBSD evangelism, but such use
is also specifically prohibited by the trademark holder for the daemon
image, Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick (cc'd).

Don't get me wrong - I've got as good a sense of humor as the next
person and would probably have laughed had someone shown me such an
image in private, but for a public article like this it's simply
inappropriate in the extreme and I would greatly appreciate another,
less potentially offensive, graphic in its place.  I would also
appreciate this message being cited in the feedback section so that
people are aware of the fact that this was never my idea at all.
I'm now likely to come under quite a bit of fire over this. :-(

Best regards,

- Jordan

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa--