Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 22:22:44 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <port-macppc@netbsd.org>, "markemmanuel" <lists@markemmanuel.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Off topic but interesting...

Hi Mark,

  I'm following this up in Advocacy rather than Questions because
as you said it doesen't belong there.

  Many of the responses on that are reasoned and are not out of line.
Some are, like the DeadBSD. (which I thought was kind of cute)

  But, you have to keep this in mind - the Linux community has had a
fairly severe blow to it's pride here.  Everyone knows deep down that
the GPL wasn't the real reason Apple didn't use Linux, because the Linux
advocates have emphasized numerous times that it's only required to kick
back mods to the GPL package to GNU, just because you happen to use a
chunk of GNU software in your software doesen't mean it entirely exposes
your code.  There's plenty in the Linux distribution that Apple could have
used, not to mention X windows itself which isn't even GPL.

  The real reason is simply that Apple didn't think that there was anything
that compelling in the Linux distribution that it wanted.  In short, from
Apple's view, Linux just simply wasn't good enough to bother with.

  It's no wonder that so many of the Linux faithful all hate Apple now -
they
aren't dumb and they see this as a subtle slam against Linux, which it is,
no getting around that.

  Apple's one of the first major commercial software OS makers out there who
has publically said that BSD software is production-quality.  Note they
didn't say Linux is production quality, they said BSD is.  Despite what we
all feel about Apple it is still doing a billion and a half dollars in
sales,
and it's making a profit, which when you have Microsoft and Sun as your main
competitors is no mean feat.  There's a LOT of people out there who 6 months
ago didn't know Linux or BSD from washer soap, who are studying the BSD
market
now, not the utterances of Linus Torvalds.  That's a pretty nasty knock to a
movement that appears to value image as much as they do.