Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 06:47:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting 3.x from CD?

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Er.  It'd be _really_ nice if you could make just a little effort to help
> > > us out here.
> >
> > You're saying I should maybe take the e-commerce server down or some other
> > mission critical machine to take a drive out of it?  If you don't want to
> > help, don't answer.  It's not like it'd be really that different from other
> > problems I've had.
>
> Uh.  A floppy drive costs about $15, including tax.  What's your time
> worth?  What's a speedy resolution to this problem worth?  Helping me
> helps you.  Refusing to help me hurts you, me, and everyone else that
> ends up in your position.

Yeah, about $15.  On a Sunday of a holiday weekend.   Sorry there wasn't a
computer store open for 20-30 miles from me.  Since I use floppies so
rarely, I don't happen to keep a stock of them - maybe you do, but I
don't.  I can count on one hand how many times I've used a floppy in the
last year.

> > > Interesting.  Can you tell me _exactly_ what it's output leading up to
> > > the dump?  Can you hit the spacebar when the twiddly thing pauses briefly
> > > and get the boot: prompt?  If you can, tell me what it prints, and then
> > > hit Enter.
> >
> > \boot.config:-P
> > Keyboard: yes

> > boot:
> > -
> > BTX Loader 1.00  BTX Version is 1.01
> > Console: internal video/keyboard
> > BIOS drive A: is disk0
> > BIOS drive B: is disk1
> > BIOS drive C: is disk2
> > BIOS drive C: is disk3   <-- This does seem odd, but that's what it says.
> >
> > FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7 640/31744kB
> > (jkh@cathair, Tue May 18 03:22:02 GMT 1999)
> >
> > Hit [Enter] to boot...   <-- at this time I also hit space to catch up writing
> >
> > Type '?' for a list...
> > disk0s4a:> boot
> > /kernel text=0x1a064a  data=0x2ec430+0x1f318 /
> >
> > Then comes the register dump I typed in in the last message.
>
> Ack.  At this point in time, we're stumped.  It looks like you're
> trying to install 3.1 here, but the code sequence that you're running
> doesn't actually exist in the 3.1-RELEASE loader.  If you boot this
> particular CDROM, does it always die at _exactly_ the same place?

3.2 and 3.3.  CD #1 of 3.3 won't boot so I had to use CD #2, but both
1 and 2 of 3.2 and 2 of 3.3 all gave the same result.

> The avenues for code corruption are:
>
>  - bad CDROM (will always be the same error)
>  - bad memory (may vary locations, etc.)
>  - bad CD drive/cabling/controller (may vary locations)
>
> It's hard for it to be a code/BIOS bug, as in the 3.1-vintage loader
> IIRC the BTX page (where the crash is) is write-protected.
>
> > > Please, always be as verbose as possible with your problem reports.
> > > Nobody enjoys squeezing blood from a stone, and it drastically reduces
> > > your chances of getting a useful answer.
> >
> > There's not much there to give.  It's not like it's failing after it
> > probes a device.  If it was I wouldn't have to put up with comments like
> > these, I could figure it out myself.  Believe me, asking questions on
> > these lists is the least desirable thing I ever have to do with FreeBSD.
>
> The information you've provided this time around could easily have been
> provided in the first message, and it would have made the whole
> experience so much less painful and frustrating for all of us.  Is it
> that hard to help us to help you?

The first message was a "I'm trying to boot 3.x from CD on an Abit TX5
and it's giving a register dump during boot.  Has anyone else had a
problem with this hardware combination?"  There could very well have
been a problem with 3.2 and/or 3.3 and the TX5 that was fixed at some
time.  Ver 3 has been considered stable for a year now, with standard
hardware there's a good chance that any bugs were known about and either
fixed or a workaround was known.   A response of "nothing we know about,
how about some more info" would have made more sense than crabbing about
how cheap floppy drives are.   If I can get out of here at a decent hour
today I'll stop and get one and try it.

Vince.
   128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup: $17.95/mo or less at Pop4