Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:47:28 -0600
From:      Steve Price <steve@freebsd.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   per machine access logs in Apache

Has anyone come up with a slick way of getting per machine access
logs in Apache?  Here's the scenario so that the question will make
more sense.

I have two servers load balancing a number of virtual hosts.  Each
of the website's files (including the access logs) are on another
box.  The webservers NFS-mount the appropriate directories to gain
access to the files it needs.  The problem I'm seeing is that since
each webserver runs on a different machine I get garbled output in
the logs.  This is to be expected of course because Apache doesn't
know about multiple machines writing to the log, rather only multiple
processes on the same box which is why all logging is done through
the master server.  Ultimately I'd like to do something like this:

    TransferLog /usr/vhost1/logs/access.`hostname -s`

Anyone run across this problem before?  If so, how did you solve
it?

Thanks.

-steve

PS: Something else that might just work would be to log the files
    to a remote server like syslogd can.  I just thought of this
    so I don't know if it would work.