Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 03:59:23 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        neal.tillery@cp.novartis.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POP vs. Sendmail

On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 07:34:04PM +0200, neal.tillery@cp.novartis.com wrote:

> Well I finally configured PPP to work on my home computer this weekend
> (I've had it running on my friends network for about a week now).  I
> then sat then and wondered what to do next.  Mail!  The problem is after
> reading the book I'm not sure which MTA I should use.  Should I take the
> time to configure Sendmail to receive my mail form my ISP, or just
> install POP to retrieve mail instead.  Right now I only have one PC, but
> I plan to add 2 more in the next 3 months and I would like to have them
> use the same PPP link to the Internet and receive mail also.  So my
> question is for those who have configured mail already.  Should I set of
> POP now, or go with the grueling configuration of Sendmail have it up
> and ready when I add computers to my network?  If I use Sendmail, what
> is the best way to do it; load it at boot time or call it from
> ppp.linkup?

When you say the book, do you mean the second edition of The Complete
FreeBSD? I set up sendmail from that book and it was really easy, hardly
anything needed to be done to get sendmail itself working. It's the
networking that it relies on that's the brain buster. Don't let sendmail
spook stories get to you. People like you and me can run it almost out of
the box. It's when you start trying to change too many things that it
requires someone who really knows what they're doing.

But it sounds like you've got a POP account and need to get mail from there?
I think the only way to get POP mail is with POP. That's also covered, and
recent versions of my MUA (mutt) are supposed to do POP as well but I
haven't tried it.

Of course, I'm a newbie so I could be totally wrong :-) but I do know a lot
of these things sounded much harder than they really were.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more