Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:35:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        steve@FreeBSD.ORG (Steve Price)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: per machine access logs in Apache

> Has anyone come up with a slick way of getting per machine access
> logs in Apache?  Here's the scenario so that the question will make
> more sense.

You should look at the Apache FAQ; if you have just installed
Apache, the first page that comes up links to documentation
that was installed on your local machine, and includes the FAQ
in HTML format.

This is covered in detail.

The general issue you are going to have is whether you want it
based on host-where-apache-is-running or host-apache-is-serving.
The "running" case is a lot easier; in the other case, you can
quickly run out of logging file descriptors (per the FAQ).

Actually, we invented something called "syslog" a very long time
ago, to deal with exactly this problem.  8-).  Too bad Apache
has rolled their own.

FWIW, for the virtual host case, you can change the log format
to cause it to log the virtual host name, etc..  For the other
case, you must be having the problem because you are running a
shared filespace, mounted on multiple servers.  The best answer
is "don't do that"; the second best answer is "you can do that,
if you realize that your throughput will be bottlenecked at the
access to your shared filespace, so lots of servers do you little
good; if you insist, putting the host name in the log file name
is covered in the FAQ".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---