Date:      Tue, 30 May 95 14:30:46 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com
Cc:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, jfieber@cs.smith.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

> 	with the new sorting of addresses mail may start flowing faster.
> especially for those in australia. (domain .au, pity the poor south
> africans, domain .za).  the next is to see how many users are at the
> various domains and have them distribute the mail locally, rather than
> having freefall contact 4 different machines in apana.org.au, for instance
> (sorry guys, you are at the top to the list, so you're easiest to find,
> and get picked on ;)
>
> 	unfortunately, there just does not appear to be that much overlap
> in addresses.  even an isp like netcom only shows 9 addresses out of the
> 527 current subscribed to hackers ;(   ( 527???  now bad, huh? ;)

We need regional subscription and exploders, actually.  One exploder per
country would help greatly:

                                        From regional subscribers

                                                global-hackers
                                                  |  |
To other central sites 'lcl'      <---------------'  |

>From other central sites 'global' ------------> lcl-hackers

                                        To regional subscribers

That way, if an international link goes down, there's one delay, instead
of one per subscriber in that country.

It also reduces the amount of international traffic that must be
transported over *high cost* links.

Multiple regions in the US _could_ be a good idea, but issues of
route balancing, etc. are pretty bizarre (could be done, though).

Subscription requests could be forwarded from the central location
to regional exploders without problems (subscribe request from .za?
forward it as a subscribe request to the .za regional exploder).

It might even be desirable to have the ability to place distribution
restrictions by region to allow native-language exchanges (though
probably not unless the questions list is to be handled locally).

On the other hand, Linux currently runs a private newsgroup heirarchy
for their lists (instead of mailing them) and it's possible that that
would be a better soloution at this level of complexity.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.