Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 08:25:43 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: New meteor driver

>From: Seppo Kallio <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
>

>I am using FreeBSD 2.2-SNAP 963001

Last time I recompiled -current was around Feb 15, so I guess I am
running a 961502 snap :-).

>First test: vic with old kernel meteor driver: PAL OK! Great!
>            vat: ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libc.so.3.0"
>            nv:  ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libc.so.3.0"

You might have to recompile vic since I am running a little more recent
version of -current.

>            vat: got vat recompiled! And it works.
>            nv: missing spigot library ... I did see how to get it but
>                cannot remember ... must look for it I think someone
>                mentioned "configure" command ...

I think you should be able to (cd /usr/ports/graphics/spigot;make) and
it will pick up the spigot library.  If not, you can get it from
ftp://ftp.cs.uwm.edu/pub/FreeBSD/spigot/spigot.tar.gz.  Just copy
libspigot.a to /usr/local/lib and ranlib it.  Another option would
be to run ./configure in the vic directory and it should generate a
version of vic without spigot support.

>   (Uh. What is the location I should drop the meteor driver?
>    I do not have that kind of location on my disk containing man, local,
>    sys etc.)

The new driver is located in the sys subdirectory of the distribution tree.
You will need to install:
	From meteor dist		To your system
	sys/pci/meteor.c		/sys/pci/meteor.c
	sys/pci/meteor_reg.h		/sys/pci/meteor_reg.h
	sys/i386/include/ioctl_meteor.h	/sys/i386/include/ioctl_meteor.h

If you are running 2.1 or 2.1R, you will need to add the
``options METEOR_FreeBSD_210'' to your configuration file.

The other option would be to sup -current and remake the kernel.

Thanks for the report.  I am glad to hear that things are close to
working for you.

	-Jim