Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:33:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tandberg SLR5 problems, please help!

I have stumbled over a quite serious problem (for me anyway):

With a 3.0-SNAP from around August 1998 I have made a number of
backups via 'dump' to my Tandberg SLR5 scsi tape drive. After installing
3.2 the other week I would like to be able to read my old backups - and cannot.
I get a 'tape: input/output error' every time I try to restore.

I have tried to 'cat /dev/nrsa0'. With tapes I made today I can cat happily but
with the old tapes I always get the above error.

I have tried to set density with 'mt density QIC-2GB' but never succeeded, and
I am quite sure I have not set any density in the past. But used the default
for the drive.

Back then the device was called /dev/nrst0 and now it is apparently
/dev/nrsa0. Making new dumps/restores with nrsa0 goes without any problems at
all.

What can I do? Is there a revision of dump/restore protocol between 3.0-SNAP
and 3.2? Is there ANYTHING I can do to get my data back - even if it entails
getting it to file and use vi to extract the files I want?

Is this a general problem, i.e. that old dumps don't read with new OS versions?
(I hope not).

So there you are, any tips are welcome!

/Micke

BTW. I do not have the dist of 3.0-SNAP as I downloaded it from the net, so I
can't reinstall that version:(

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
Linköping University
mj@isy.liu.se