Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:57:15 +0100
From:      Jean-Mark Dupoux <jmdupoux@lineone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel config parameters for soundcard - 4.4 rel

I really should have  mentioned that I had to go back to the old  device
snd build to get full use out of this Aztech Sound Galaxy in the end,
for the benefit of anyone setting up similar hardware.  It beats me
exactly why, but when I compiled with:
device pcm
device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10

the card was  recognised  easily enough and loaded up as a soundblaster
pro, but  would only play  .AU  files  reliably.  Wav's were still
thowing up errors with:
sb_dspwr(0x40) timed out  and so on

So after switching back to this build:
device snd
device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10
device opl3 at isa? port 0x388
device joy0 at isa? port 0x200

wav files and au files  played  equally well.

I still have  no mixer to set volumes and so forth, and the same still
holds true though about having to boot DOS first and  reset with
ctrl-alt-del just to get the card  running at all. I may look into
running DOS commands somehow directly from inside freebsd to see if
using the original utilities is an option for command line mixer
settings

jmdupoux_@_lineone.net