Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2006 00:56:12 -0400
From:      Brian McKeon <backyard1454-nospam@yahoo.com>
To:        User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>, backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stand up and be counted - BSDStats Project

User Freebsd wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Personally I don't think this stuff should be tracked in any
>> centralized fashion. I don't particullarly like when our freedom to
>> choose to do something is tracked or monitored; because it is no
>> longer a freedom. Maybe that is just paranoia speaking.
>

> none of your freedoms will be in any way infringed upon with what is
> proposed ... you will always have the freedom to disable the reporting
> and not particpate *shrug*
>
>> I think a much more productive goal is to get all the users that have
>> unsupported hardware to write into the vendor that created it and ask
>> them why they don't support a spawn of the OS that allowed what we
>> call the internet to exist. Put this message on FreeBSD.org, get
>> people in this list to do it, get on a soap box and scream it. I
>> think giving them numbers of systems will just be ignored. But
>> getting 1000 emails a day in multiple languages from around the world
>> will get them thinking maybe its worth at least releasing the specs
>> just to shut these people up.
>

> The above is an "active campaign", which you will generally find
> doesn't yield anything, unfortunately, since its more work then 99.9%
> of the people will feel compelled to do ...
>
> As ScottL said in one of his emails, in a form ... We don't want to
> piss Adaptec off, which a "letter writing campaign" would ... what we
> want to do is give Adaptec something to think about in terms of
> 'market missed' ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN .
> scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

sometimes I think with my head not up in the air. I see you point. I
guess I'll try to give them more of a market to be concered about. If I
can convince the girls next door its simple and friendly to USE, then I
think anybody can be convinced, Good luck with the project, maybe I'll
find myself on the list someday

wish me luck with this desktopbsd thiing; I'm in short supply of it
lately and it will be coming in handy...

-brian