Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:42:48 +0200
From:      "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Manuel_Molina_Pascual?=" <raistlinmolina@gmail.com>
To:        "Scott Long" <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The sorry state of open source today

Hi, I've never posted to the advocacy list but as I read the post this
guy wrote..... well, no comment.

I've only read the chapter "bugs in the free", it seems to me that
this gut is the typical "Security by obscurity", this phrase:

"Security fixes are indeed benefiting for having the code in the open,
but this also has a price: security advisories are issued more often
than ever, as everyone can dig for weaknesses" is very clear, in fact
it says that is better to get binary code and trust it.

I think that what he does not say is that many development languages
are going to the "code once run anywhere" paradigm, via intermediate
files runnable under a virtual machine (being Java its maximum
exponent) or interpreting ASCII code (ruby, Perl, PHP..........), and
what it happens with these languages is that the "closed" application
you get is by no means closed to those guys who are capable today of
look for weaknesses in open source code. It can be argued that for
instance Java classes can be obfuscated but this obfuscation can not
stop a determined developer, there are very good tools that let you
analyze code, it's true that it will take you more time but it can be
done, =BFaren't the drivers for the Intel 3945ABG wifi chipset evolving?
=BFhas intel released the specs?.

This man is the classical example of corporate guy, can't live if the
tools he uses aren't provided by IBM, Oracle, Microsoft...............

Maybe he's paid by Microsoft.