Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 15:44:29 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing 2.0.5-950622-SNAP

> Some are easy:  New binaries and Libraries.  You copy the new ones in,
> reboot, and you are set.  Ditto the kernel, kinda.  The format of the
> kernel config file sometimes changes, and you need to be able to
> translate old config files to the new ones.  This is usually easy.

This can be generalized a little more by simply saying that for every
level of "update" you may need to outright replace certain files and
possibly patch others in place.

Which brings up two things I didn't cover in my previous message and
that's one, the issue of MD5 checksumming the old ones so that you can
tell if the user _modified_ the other one and may want the choice of
either not updating it or moving it to a specified location and two,
"grouping" the deltas in such a way so that a given update can be
expressed as <n> individual deltas without losing the granularity (if
you wanted to back out an individual update, it could do it properly
by un-applying all the relevant deltas).  One example of this would be
a kernel change where the routing structures were modified.  You'd
want to replace the kernel, routed, route, netstat, etc. all in one
update operation.

> Then you get into the thornier issues:  /etc/rc* and /etc/netstart.
> From time to time, things need to be added to these file, and you want
> to preserve, as much as possible, the configuration that has been
> made here.

Well, this has been simplified to a great extent by /etc/sysconfig.
It's my intention that ALL of the mutable files in /etc eventually
collapse to just /etc/sysconfig, and there's never any reason at all
for the user to modify the others.

> This doesn't address the "dual boot" issue.  In that case, you'd want
> to be able to say "Install the system onto that other device, and use
> my current system as a template."  It also doesn't address the "ooop,
> that was stupid, I want to go back now." either.

Dual boot, no and possibly never.  The "oops, I want to go back now"
was covered in my previous message.

						Jordan