Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 17:44:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   tcsh question

Hey folks,

I've got a tcsh question for somebody.  I have some csh shell scripts
(yep, #!/bin/csh) that create a LOT of environmental variables.  Recently,
either some change to tcsh (or some change to the scripts I'm running) has
caused a problem.

Here's the line from my .cshrc file:

	source /usr/ssw/gen/setup/setup.ssw

Not too innocuous...this script in turn calls a mess of other scripts to
set up a bunch of astrophysics stuff I use with IDL.  (www.rsinc.com)

My default shell is tcsh, I'm running the current version.  When I fire
this script off, I get this noise:

	kriek:~ ->source .cshrc
	SSW  setup will include: <gen eit yohkoh sxt mdi>

	Type <sswidl> to start SSW IDL
	^E\242@\222@x@^Z^ALoad: Command not found.
	^A^F\314ALA\312@\202^HERROR:: Too many arguments.
	kriek:~ ->

If I drop into csh and then source this, no problems.  If I fire it off
with a "csh [...]setup.ssw" line it works, but I guess some of the
environmentals don't jump around in quite the same way.  AND, it doesn't
do this on any of our other platforms.

I tried 'unlimit', I've peeked briefly at the login.conf stuff and turned
away quickly.  I've tried running it as root.  Nothing seems to change the
fundamental problem, and it's hard to diagnose where the problem is -- it
acts like it runs out of some sort of memory and corrupts itself, but I'm
*really* unaware of what's going on here.  When I start sprinkling echos
throught the scripts, the problem changes and the place where it crashes
is always totally innocuous.

Does anyone have an idea where to look to figure this out?  How can I be
more vague?  :-)  I'm too confused to even present a clear picture of
what's causing me problems!

Brian