Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:05:11 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Docs blows up make release

[ cc'd to -current ]

On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 07:54:51PM -0400, jack wrote:
> <mode ugly monolingual American>
> Will support for building release docs in English only be
> revived?
> </mode>

For the immediate future, it looks like it will -- it seems as though
we don't have the man power to make the necessary changes to sysinstall
to support "installing the docs as packages", so I'm going to fix up
src/release/Makefile as necessary to cope with the new directory structure.

I will find this much, much, much easier if someone could e-mail me a
directory listing of what the contents of ${RD}/trees looks like after
the src/release/Makefile:doc.1 target has been run.  This saves me having
to scrounge together the necessary resources to actually be able to build
a release on my home system.

It would also help if someone who knows the release build stuff could
let me know whether or not this directory structure is simply splatted
on to the disk at install time and then left alone, or whether any other
parts of the install process rely on being able to find the files in
particular locations under /usr/share/doc.

Many thanks,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>