Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:48:20 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [ports-i386@FreeBSD.org: p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.25 pkg-plist errors on i386 5]

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:31:27AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:28:09AM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:00:35PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >
> > > building p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.25 on gohan14.freebsd.org
> > > in directory /x/tmp/5/chroot/4863
> > > maintained by: perl@FreeBSD.org
> > > port directory: /usr/ports/devel/p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
> >
> > > For the full build log, see
> > >
> > >   http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-errorlogs/a.5.2004121802/p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.25.log
> > >
> > > list of files present before this port was installed but missing after it was deinstalled)
> > > ./usr/local/bin/instmodsh missing
> >
> > I am unsure what to do with this (${PREFIX}/bin/instmodsh) coflict.
>
> Are they the same version of that program?  Can one or both of the
> ports (e.g. this one) just not install it?

The problem is that devel/p5-ExtUtils-MakeMaker is an upgrade to a
component of lang/perl5*.  With the current version of lang/perl5.8, we
take some care that a typical p5 port does not overwrite things that are
installed by perl itself, namely:

- *.pm files from p5 ports go to SITE_PERL, while *.pm files from perl
  itself go to PERL_VER;
- *.3 files from p5 ports go to ${PREFIX}/lib/perl5/${PERL_VERSION},
  while *.3 files from perl itself go to
  ${PREFIX}/lib/perl5/${PERL_VERSION}/perl

This nice separation breaks when we come to binaries and their manpages,
and using the same trick as above does _not_ look like a good solution.

Mind you, all this becomes a problem with a rather limited subset of all
p5 ports.

The best solution I can see is to rip off the "standard" perl
distribution completely.  Then we will have lang/perl5.X-minimal ports,
and lang/perl5.X meta ports that will depend on corresponding
perl5.X-minmal port and on the right p5 ports to achieve the result
similar to the current "standard" perl distribution.  Unfortunately, I
don't think that we can get rid of all perl modules in the minimal port,
and if we cannot, then we absolutely must have MakeMaker in the perl
port, since this one is needed for building each and every one of the
rest.

Good suggestions are welcome, and I hope I was not too dense in this
mail.

\Anton.
--
The moronity of the universe is a monotonically increasing function. --
Jarkko Hietaniemi