Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Subject:   Re: Previous Message on /etc/defaults

On 10-Jul-00 Jonathan Smith wrote:
>> My $0.02:  I thinks it's a good idea for /etc/defaults/whatever to set the
>> defaults and then load any customizations for /etc/whatever. Personally, I
>> *like* having small /etc/whatever files with just my entries to worry about.
>> And if we call defaults from the /etc copy, you have to first have an /etc
>> version, or else the defaults don't get loaded at all...
>
> *grins*
>
> That's your choice, I'm not saying to take it away from you.
>
> We already have to have an etc version, either that or sysinstall
> generates it.  Either way, it gets created.
>
> <history>
> I started with slackware almost 4 years ago....  I personally had a
> nightmare getting things done in the sysv way of things, all the various
> config files just get the system started.
>
> Then, one of the local 'experts' had me try FreeBSD.  (This was in the
> 2.2.x days ;)  I had one main config file that I had to edit that listed
> nearly [if not] all of the main options to get my machine up.  I think
> that was the first (and one of the biggest) reasons I stayed with
> FreeBSD.
> </history>
>
> Since then, I've been frustrated by the defaults directory; however, I do
> realise it's value in large networks.  I don't want that removed, but I
> think it'd be nice to be able to remove it more easily.

Err, all the options are still listed in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and are
documented in the rc.conf manpage (or should be).

> As I said, my suggestion also makes it quite obvious that the defaults are
> just that.

Except that in practice your suggestion would result in many users breaking
their systems.  As it is now in -current and 4-stable, you can copy the
existing defaults/rc.conf into /etc and edit it if you want.