Date:      Sun,  9 May 1999 18:16:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@mail.telepac.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing on alpha

Joao Pedras writes:

 > you know for sure that NetBSD will run on this hardware ?

It did last summer.

 > well, I've been playing around with bootp from some time now
 >
 > what would you suggest ?

Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, you're better able to
weigh the pros & cons than I am.  Booting it diskless *should* work;
but I don't think anybody has run FreeBSD on a Turbochannel alpha in
quite some time.  There are lots of people running NetBSD on TC
alphas. If you're willing to spend the time to get a diskless setup
working & you're most comfortable with FreeBSD, then use FreeBSD.  If
you want a system which "just works", use NetBSD.  They have better
hardware support for turbo channel alphas.

Ideally you (or somebody else with access to the hardware & time)
would take the time to CAM'ify the esp driver & port the NetBSD serial
port driver.

Drew